FacebookTwitterGoogle+YouTubePodcasts on iTunesPinterest
Banner
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Metabolic Types
Metabolic Types 2 Years, 9 Months ago  
Hello everyone. I'm new here and am looking for some answers and opinions from anyone. I've heard of there being several metabolic types. Supposedly, everyone is not the same metabolic type and that some people "need" meat sources of protein. This explains why some thrive on vegetarian/vegan diets and why others fail. Do you find this to be true? Have you seen anyone experience with veganism and fail only because they felt better after returning to eating animals? I've recently only been vegan for 8 months (and I believe 2 years vegetarian...I can't even remember). Anyways, I just started having my days of feeling a bit lethargic and such, but I must admit that I haven't been eating quite enough for the amount of energy I expend in a day. Perhaps, it's catching up to me. That being said, I do believe everyone requires a different amount of macronutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins). What that specific ratio is for everyone should probably be experimented with for themselves rather than relying on "profressionals" to tell you and then say "Oh, by the way...you have to consume meat to meet these requirements". Thank you for reading this.

Re: Metabolic Types 2 Years, 9 Months ago  
hi!
are you talking about the blood type diet?
if so, Blood group O NEEDS a lot more protein than the others and most of us know that you can get protein from MANY plant-based sources.

I suggest you find a vegan naturopath or nutritionist in your area and have a consultant for YOUR specific needs.

Hope that helps ;)

Hi! No, I'm familiar with that diet. It's the whole topic of there being different metabolic types with blood type not playing any part of it. There are slow oxidizers and fast oxidizers and I guess one burns through carbs slowly and the other too quickly (thus, they'd be better off eating meat sources of protein and consuming more fat). There's also the idea of there being sympathetic or parasympathetic dominant people which plays a role in metabolism.

I suppose I'm just more annoyed with the fact that there are too many people trying to convince others that vegan/vegetarian diets aren't sustainable in the long run. At least, that's what one "professional" said on a website recently, claiming that one can get away with being vegan while they're young but will catch up with them later in life (saying that all the sugars and carbs will destroy their immune system). I believe they were referring moreso to those who consume processed/refined foods too often while avoiding fat and protein entirely.

Thank you for your reply!

Hi aurora,

Are you referring to the lymphoid, android, gynaeoid, thyroid metabolic types? If so, have a look at this page, Dr. Sandra Cabot focuses on these types in her practice-

[url=http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=body-types]

I find as a naturopath that working with an individuals metabolic type can be useful, as each and every persons body is different in regard to make-up, dietary requirements etc.

In regards to your question, I personally do not feel that that any person 'needs' meat to survive, but that certain people may need a higher amount of protein, fat, carbohydrate etc. for their individual body type. A persons genetics will also influence this, as certain health conditions that they may/may not have or be prone to will mean that they will require higher amounts of certain nutrients.

There are many different systems of medicine that practitioners will use to treat patients, there is also the Ayurvedic system of medicine which looks at doshas and what food type suits each dosha.

If you were feeling a bit lethargic, this does indicate that you may not have been eating the right foods for you. You could have been eating too much starch, not enough protein, iron etc, however it is hard to say without knowing more about you an your diet.

Hope this helps :-)

Re: Metabolic Types 2 Years, 3 Months ago  
Thanks for the helps. My question's answered too.
Always continue the climb. It is possible for you to do whatever you choose, if you first get to know who you are and are willing to work with a power that is greater than ourselves to do it.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Go to topPage: 1

© Viva La Vegan!Using Green Hosting | Site by DesignVoodoo.com
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia Licence Creative Commons Licence